Try out these yummy summer recipes to please your palate!
Salmon Burgers (from www.myrecipes.com)
SERVINGS: 4 (1 burger = 1 serving)
– 1 cup finely chopped red onion
– 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
– 1 (1-pound) salmon fillet, skinned and chopped
– 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
– 1 large egg white
– Cooking spray
– 8 (3/4-ounce) slices focaccia, toasted
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine hot pepper sauce and egg white in a small bowl; add egg white mixture to salmon mixture, stirring well to combine.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add salmon patties, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve patties on toasted focaccia.
NUTRITION (per serving) 190 cals, 8.8g fat, 2.1g sat fat, 236mg sodium, 1.1g carbs, 25.2g protein, 58mg cholesterol
Watermelon Wonder Smoothie (from www.prevention.com)
– 2 c chopped watermelon
– ¼ c fat-free milk
– 2 c ice
COMBINE the watermelon and milk, and blend for 15 seconds, or until smooth. Add the ice, and blend 20 seconds longer, or to your desired consistency. Add more ice, if needed, and blend for 10 seconds.
NUTRITION (per serving) 56 cals, 0.3 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 19.5 mg sodium, 13 g carbs, 11 g sugars, 0.5 g fiber, 2 g protein
Corn and Summer Vegetable Sauté (from www.myrecipes.com)
SERVINGS: 6 (serving size = 2/3 cup)
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
– 1/2 cup chopped green onions (about 4)
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 1 cup sliced fresh okra (about 4 ounces)
– 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1)
– 1 finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
– 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
– 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
– 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
– 1/8 teaspoon salt
– 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add okra; sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add bell pepper and jalapeño; cook 5 minutes. Add corn; cook 5 minutes. Stir in beans; cook 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro; sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
NUTRITION (per serving) 90cals, 2.7g fat, 0.2g sat fat, 232mg sodium, 15.9g carbs, 4.8g fiber, 3.7g protein, 1.2mg iron, 43mg calcium
Let us know how these turn out!