Follow these tips to stay safe and fit in the heat!
- Avoid peak sun hours, 11AM to 2PM – this is when the sun’s intensity is the greatest. If you are going to exercise outside, try to do it early in the morning or closer to the sunset so that you can avoid feeling fatigued and overheated.
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water! Carry a water bottle with you as you hike or walk, and keep one nearby as you do other activities. If you are active for longer than an hour, drink a sports drink to replenish electrolytes. Be sure to replace the fluids you have lost through sweating and exercise.
- Put on sunscreen and wear a hat! Protect your skin and body from the rays of the sun. If you get too much sun exposure, use aloe vera gel to soothe the pain and burn.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Wear lighter colors! Darker colors will absorb the sun, making you hotter. Wearing lighter colors will reflect sunlight, helping to keep you cool.
Check back on Friday for some delicious summer recipes!